Wednesday, October 15, 2008

KDO’s Chore Chart – Why I Use HandiPoints.com

At the beginning of the summer, KDO made it known to me that he wanted to start getting paid an allowance for doing his “chores”. Now, I’m from the school that you shouldn’t get paid for doing something you should already be doing as a normal human being. It is my obligation as a parent to provide food, clothing and shelter. It is his responsibility to do my bidding. If I say, “Jump!” he says “How high”? Yeah right! But a Mom can dream can’t she?

Anyway, I took his request to heart and decided that if he could do his daily chores without intervention from me and could also do extra things around the house, over and above his normal duties, I MIGHT be willing to part with some cash. We talked it over and made a list of extra things he could do and then I tried to make a chore sheet on the computer.

It looked ugly and he never used it. So much for my computer skills, sigh.

Then I got smart and looked out to the web for inspiration. And that is when I came across HandiPoints.com.


This site is the best online chore chart system I have found. It’s intuitive, bright and organized. It has separate parent/child logins and the child gets to create an avatar character to represent them. Parents set up the tasks and rewards and the child logs in to check off the tasks and also to use their points to “purchase” their rewards. There are 2 kinds of points each task is assigned. One is for the rewards from the parents and the other is used within the HandiPoints world to buy their little character clothes and toys. Something I thought KDO would hate because he is 14, but he actually gets a kick out of messing with his little guy every once in a while.

I set KDO’s chore list up to include the daily chores, extra things around the house and also included some demerits on the list. These really keep him on track because if he gets snotty with me or makes a mess I have to clean up he gets points taken away. If he doesn’t have enough points at the end of the week he doesn’t get paid.

There are too many features for me to go over and I’m sure I couldn’t do them justice anyways. It’s what works for me and it might work for you. Check them out at HandiPoints.com. If you would like to see “what works” for other great women, check out Rocks In My Dryer for more great tips today!!

3 comments:

Heather said...

We have used and loved Chorewars but kept forgetting to check in. Will look into this one.

Grammy said...

How cool. I just sent my daughter the link. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hey, my name is Mary and I work for Handipoints. I'd love to chat with you about this post. Send me an e-mail to mary@handipoints.com.

Thanks!